Nowadays, clean water is a hard thing to come by. The level of pollution from out waters is at an all-time high, which basically means that we have to provide pure water for ourselves by any means we can. So unless you have an absolutely clean spring in your backyard, then the most affordable solution is purchasing a water filter pitcher.
It’s nothing too complicated. It’s just a container that has a carbon filter in it. But don’t make the mistake of confusing its simplicity with poor efficiency because that water container with the carbon filter in it can provide the cleanest water possible. Bottled water has nothing on filtered water. And it tastes better too.
How does it work?
The principle is fairly simple. You take tap water and pour it into the pitcher. While doing so, the water will go through the carbon filter and go to the lower half of the pitcher. After that, you just drink it. There’s nothing else to it. Just a charcoal filter in a plastic container can make the difference between a healthy life and a Giardia contamination.
The benefits of a water filter pitcher
As you may have guessed, clean water has a great impact on your health. There are people in underdeveloped countries who die because of waterborne diseases. It kind of makes you feel grateful that there are so many options for you, doesn’t it? And here is why you should be thankful for the water filter pitcher.
- ü It provides clean water. I am just stating the obvious here, but this is the most important aspects of all. Fresh water may be accessible to you, but there are a lot of countries who lack it. I am not saying that you should feel guilty or anything, but it puts things into perspective.
- ü Pure water is crucial for your general health. There are studies showing that improving the quality of water reduces waterborne diseases in communities and households, developing countries or otherwise. And I don’t know if you are aware of this or not, but there are over 2000 toxins in the tap water that your municipality may not be eliminating. Can you imagine all of those inside your body?
- ü It’s more affordable than bottled water. It’s a lot cheaper to buy a pitcher and then filters as the time passes by than to buy bottled water every single day. Just do the math, and you will see the difference. It’s a great place to start saving money if that’s what you’re looking for. A few bucks here and there will keep your wallet or your bank account a bit fuller each month.
- ü Even though you read a lot of labels, no matter what they say, filtered water is a lot healthier than distilled water, alkaline and vitamin water. I can’t deny the fact that there may be some vitamins in there, but what about the rest? I cannot believe that is all they put in. I am certain that there are a few preservatives in there too.
- ü Let’s not forget about the taste. I assume you hate as much as I do the taste of chlorine whenever you drink tap water. I know that it’s there for a reason, but the taste is awful. A water filter pitcher will take out all that. The smell, the taste will be a thing of the past. I must admit that I have drunk better water than filtered water, but there is no better-filtered tap water than this one. As I said before, perfectly clean bottled water is too expensive for my taste, so if I can have clean water at a more affordable price, why not?
- ü Two of the most dangerous things that can be found in water are Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Just because you have never heard of them does not mean they cannot affect you. Quite the contrary, Giardia infections are quite common, and they influence the small bowel which ultimately leads to gastrointestinal diseases. But a water filter pitcher will reduce that chance by 33%.
- ü The immune system of a child is very sensitive, which is why clean water is crucial for healthy development. Providing fresh water for your kidshould be a top priority, which makes a water filter pitcher a must item in your home.
- ü Last, but not least, let’s not forget about the environment. Plastic bottles take at least 450 years to decompose, and not everyone recycles. That means filtered water is better for the environment than bottled water.
What to consider when buying a water filter pitcher
There are a lot of models out there, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. But how can you possibly know which one to choose? A first step would be to do some research. Read some online water filter pitcher reviews. Customers are the best source for feedback. But here is what you should consider before making a purchase.
- ü Filtering mechanism – most pitchers use carbon because it can absorb impurities, as well as odor when the water goes through the porous material. Contaminants such as lead, parasites, chlorine, bacteria, and other harmful substances will be removed.
- ü Capacity – pitchers are designed to be not so large, but still. It can become annoying to refill the pitcher every 2 glasses of water.
- ü A filter change indicator – not many models have this feature. Keeping track of the water you filter every day can get tiring at times, which is why an indicator is much better. It will let you know every time you need to change the filter.
- ü Certification that backs up the removal claims – anyone can write something on a label, but not any product is given a certificate, so look for the ones that have a certification.
What are the best water filter pitchers?
If you look online, you will see a huge variety of options. Each of them promises you the moon in the sky, but not all of them deliver the expected results. Which is why you should be careful. Here are three products that will definitely do the job just the way you expect it to.
PUR 18 Cup Dispenser with Filter
I know that this is not much of a pitcher and more of a dispenser (just as the title suggests), but the idea behind it’s exactly the same. You fill it up, and on the other side you get fresh, clean water.
The reason I chose this is not related only to the fantastic efficiency of removing contaminants, but because of the size as well. I don’t know about you, but I like the idea of having available clean water for a while, not just for a few glasses. And it’s not like it’s so much harder to use this dispenser than the pitcher. You just have to push the button, and the water will just flow into your glass. It’s true that it’s not as portable as a pitcher, but it stays in the kitchen most of the times anyways.
The filter is more than you could hope for. It eliminates 95% of the mercury. The municipality treats water against mercury, but they aren’t always very efficient. Their treatment along with the filter in PUR will do a great job at removing every contaminant that may threaten your health or the one of your family’s.
The taste and odor will also disappear once the water gets filtered. Everybody hates that chlorine smell and taste, but with PUR they are long gone. As far as the filter goes, you have to change it once in a while. Fortunately, as I said above, the filters are highly efficient and will last a couple of months, depending on the size of your household. One thing is clear, though. One single carbon filter can purify 40 gallons of water. That’s a lot. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
PUR LED 11 Cup Pitcher
Now, this is a pitcher. It can hold less water at once, but nobody says that’s not enough. 5.5 pounds is not so bad, after all. But I have to admit that it must have been designed for small households rather than large families. This model is basically a smaller version of the previous product. The filters, at least, are the same.
As you probably already read, the filters are highly efficient. They will remove 96% of the mercury and 95% of industrial pollutants. This is a pretty good number considering the alternative. The filter uses MAXION Technology. It’s a unique formulation approach that mixes carbon and ion exchange materials for a maximum contaminant reduction. Also, the plastic this pitcher is made of is bisphenol A (BPA) free, so nothing to worry here.
As far as design goes, the pitcher comes with a comfort-grip handle that will make handling very easy. The easy-fill lid is thumb activated, and the pour spout cover prevents dust particles and odor from getting inside the container. The overall design is small for easy storage in the refrigerator. Not only that it’s small, but it’s also slim. That means it can fit in almost all refrigerator doors.
As I mentioned above, the filters are the same as for the previous model, which means that one filter can purify 40 gallons of water. That means you can filter approximately 65 refills. Quite a lot if you think about it. You don’t have to change the filter any time soon. But what’s more is that the pitcher comes with a LED light that will notify you each time you need to change it. You don’t have to keep track of how many times you filled the container. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Brita 10 Cup Grand Water Pitcher
This product seems to be a favorite among buyers. And they are right to consider this a great product because it really is. It has a beautiful design, it comes in a variety of colors, and the filter is very efficient in getting rid of mercury, copper, cadmium, plus the taste and smell of chlorine. The water will be healthier and will taste a lot better than unfiltered water. They cannot even begin to compare.
The Brita will fit perfectly in your refrigerator (even in the door) and will not occupy a lot of space on your countertops. The handle has a comfort-grip design which will make pouring very easy to handle. The lid has a locking system just in case children are around. They tend to spill almost everything, so you see where I’m going with this. Also, the plastic is BPA free. It would have been kind of ironic for a water filter pitcher to be made out of a toxic plastic, wouldn’t it?
Now let’s get to the really important part, which is filter lifespan. It’s the same as the previous models. One filter will purify 40 gallons of water with ease. According to statistics, that means one filter every 2 months or so. But don’t think that you have to count the refills. This product also has a light that will let you know when it’s the time to change the filter. I find this feature very helpful. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
If I have to choose among the three water filters, I will go with the PUR LED. I must admit that there aren’t many differences between PUR and Brita, but the former is a bit larger and more sturdy. I have an issue with capacity as it seems. It bothers me that I have to refill it over and over again. It’s true that the PUR has one glass extra, but it’s still more. Also, I like the design better.
I hope that I made myself clear in explaining the importance of clean water and the options I presented are to your liking. They represent a smart investment if you ask me. Consider your health, one of your children, your entire family. They all say that it couldn’t possibly happen to them, and still, Giardia infections due to contaminated water is a common disease. But that will never happen to you as long as you use the best water filter pitcher. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Unanswered Problems With Best Home Water Filter Revealed
- The Appeal of Reverse Osmosis System
- The Water Purification Trap
- The Lost Secret of Whole House Water Filter
- The New Fuss About Pur Water Filter
- A Startling Fact about Ro Water Purifier Uncovered
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Water Purification Systems…The Simple Truth Revealed
- The Best Water Purifier Diaries
- Purchasing Water Filter Pitcher
- Characteristics of Water Filtration System
- Vital Pieces of Water Purifier
- A Secret Weapon for Best Water Filter
- The Hidden Facts Regarding Water Filter Revealed by an Old Pro
- Filtered Water Pitcher: No Longer a Mystery
- What You Don’t Know About Water Treatment Systems Could Be Costing to More Than You Think
- The 5-Minute Rule for Best Water Filter Jug
- The Good, the Bad and Best under Sink Water Filter
- The 5-Minute Rule for Best Faucet Water Filter
- Top Guide of Water Purifier Reviews
- The Foolproof Water Filter Pitcher Reviews Strategy
- The Appeal of Drinking Water Filter
- The True Meaning of Best Water Purifier for Home
- What the Experts Are Saying About Water Pitcher Filter and What This Means For You
- What You Don’t Know About Home Water Filtration System
- The Bizarre Secret of under Sink Water Filter
- Most Noticeable Best Water Filter
- What to Do About Brita Water Filter Review Before You Miss Your Chance
- Water Filter Jugs for Dummies
- All About Best Ro Water Purifier
- Getting the Best Best Whole House Water Filter
- The Good, the Bad and Water Purifier for Home
- Best Water Filter System Features
- A Startling Fact about Home Water Filter Uncovered
- One of the Most Incredibly Ignored Options for Water Filter for Home
- How to Choose Filtered Water